"She heard the baby cry."
"She what?" my wife exclaimed.
"She heard the baby cry." Martha sighed as she explained what happened during an abortion that took place recently in Miami.
Martha recounted the counseling provided to this broken woman who now regrets her abortion and has sought help to silence the echoes of that call for help.
My wife and I just came back from our 10 year anniversary trip to the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area. While there, we were able to have dinner with Martha Avila the lady who heads up the Heartbeat of Miami crisis pregnancy clinic. (They are associated with John Ensor and Heartbeat International).
I was moved yet again as I talked to Martha about what is going on in the abortion movement in Miami and all that their clinic is doing.
Here are some stats on Miami and the Heartbeat clinic:
1. Miami has the highest abortion rate in all of the United States. (We saw newspaper ads with coupons to get discounted abortions).
2. Miami allows abortions up to 24 weeks into pregnancy. We saw many ads promoting these kind of practices.
3. Hundreds of women come to the two Heartbeat clinics every year (Martha said 12 ladies per clinic was a slow day)
4. 95% of the ladies who have come to have abortions have decided to keep their babies. This means that Heartbeat of Miami has been used to save 100s of babies every year.
5. The gospel is shared with many of the ladies (and their partners) and many have come to know Jesus Christ as their Savior. Heartbeat then seeks to get these new believers plugged into a local church.
Heartbeat wants to open up a third clinic, but currently they do not have the money. I think that if Life-loving people knew about this, they could get this money. Would you be willing to give? Even just $10...or sponsor Heartbeat of Miami for $30 per month. My wife and I have been supporting Heartbeat of Miami since they opened 3 years ago. I can't emphasize what a blessing this has been.
I encourage you to support your local crisis pregnancy centers, but also consider fighting this fire where the fire burns strongest...in Miami, Florida. You can click on "Donate Now" on the Heartbeat of Miami website to give.